A pipe symbol is the text character used to represent a sequence of commands that can be piped together as one program. For example, in Unix-like operating systems, you could type ll /usr/bin | grep bzip2 to find all files containing bzip2. Because it’s so commonly used and its functionality is critical for most users understanding how to use pipes correctly, this article will teach you when and where they are appropriate.
The “how to type pipe symbol on keyboard windows” is a question that has been asked many times. The answer is that it can be done by pressing the key combination of Alt+0178.
The Pipe sign, commonly known as the Vertical Bar, is a vertical line that may be found on most US keyboards.
This article will show you how to create the Pipe symbol in Microsoft Word, Windows, and Mac, as well as how to use keyboard shortcuts.
You may grab this symbol by copying and pasting it from the button below before we start.
Using the Pipe Symbol or the Keyboard’s Vertical Line Key
One of the simplest methods to type this symbol is to use the Pipe key on the keyboard.
Nearly all US QWERTY computer keyboards include this key on the far right side, just after the square bracket keys and above the Enter key.
In the keyboard picture below, the Pipe key is highlighted in yellow.
The Pipe, on the other hand, comes after the reverse slash key. This key will give you the backward slash sign if you press it.
When using this key, hold down the Shift key before striking the reverse slash key to receive the Pipe symbol.
To type the Pipe symbol on the keyboard, press Shift + at the same time.
Shortcut for the Pipe Symbol (MS Word for Windows)
The Pipe Symbol’s Alt Code shortcut is Alt + 124. To type using this approach, press and hold one of your keyboard’s Alt keys while entering the Alt code on the numeric keypad, then release the Alt key.
This approach only works on Windows, and it needs a separate numeric keypad with Num Lock activated on your keyboard.
Alt codes are used to enter symbols or characters that aren’t present on the keyboard in Windows.
When attempting to enter unusual characters like Pipe, this approach is highly useful since it saves a huge amount of time.
The following are the full methods for utilizing the Alt Code keyboard shortcut to enter these Pipe symbols on Windows:
- Open the Word document where you’ll be typing the symbol.
- The cursor should be placed where you want it to be.
- One of your Alt Keys should be pressed and held.
- Use the number keypad on the right to input the Pipe Alt code while holding down the Alt key (124)
- After inputting the code, release the alt key.
The Pipe symbol will show as soon as you release the Alt key.
In order for the Pipe Alt Code to operate, the following requirements must be fulfilled.
- You must hold down the Alt key before inputting the code.
- You must use the numeric keypad on the right side of the keyboard to input the alt code.
- Because you’re utilizing a 10-key numeric keypad, you’ll need to activate NumLock. The number keys become disabled when NumLock is turned off, and you won’t be able to input any numbers.
- If your laptop doesn’t have a numeric keypad, you’ll have to first enable the hidden numeric keypad. On most computers, you can switch it on by simultaneously hitting the Fn + NmLk buttons. Not every laptop has a concealed numeric keypad. You won’t be able to input symbols using the alt code approach unless you attach an external keyboard with a numeric keypad or use the on-screen keyboard if it doesn’t appear in yours. You may still utilize the other ways mentioned in this tutorial.
- You should also be aware that not all symbols can be entered with the alt code, depending on the text editor you’re using. Some of the alt codes are only recognized by Microsoft Word.
On a Mac, type in the pipe symbol.
On a Mac, the Character Viewer may be used to get the Pipe symbol.
On a Mac, the Character Viewer allows you to insert special characters and symbols into text, such as arithmetic symbols, Latin letters, and pictographs.
To put this (|) or any other symbol on a Mac, follow the instructions below.
- Place your cursor on the text area where the symbol will be inserted.
- Press Control + Command + Space bar to bring up the Character Viewer. Alternatively, choose Edit > Emoji & Symbols.
- In the top search area, type “vertical line or pipe” and hit Enter.
- The insignia should be visible. To incorporate it into your text, just click on it.
These are the procedures for using the Character Viewer on Mac to insert this and any other symbol.
In Microsoft Word, there is a shortcut for typing Pipe Sign.
007C, Alt + X is the MS Word shortcut for typing the Pipe symbol.
To utilize this shortcut, open your Microsoft Word document, place the insertion cursor where you wish to enter the Pipe symbol, and then just follow the steps below:
- Simply put 007C into the search box.
- Then hit Alt + X at the same time.
- If it still doesn’t work, highlight the code and hit the Alt and X keys at the same time.
The symbol shows in place of the Unicode when you press Alt + X after entering it.
Use the Office Symbol Library to insert the Pipe symbol.
If using the keyboard isn’t your thing, you can also acquire the Pipe symbol in Office products like Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint by using the mouse.
We’ll use screenshots of Microsoft Word to demonstrate the processes. In Excel and PowerPoint, though, you may apply the same way.
Here are the measures to take without further ado:
- Open Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
- Place your cursor where you want it.
- Select the Insert tab from the drop-down menu.
- Select More Symbols from the drop-down menu after clicking the Symbols button in the Symbols group.
After that, the Symbol window will display. It has a billion symbols, one of which is the Pipe sign.
- In the symbol library, look for the Pipe symbol.
Use the Subset dropdown option to view various sorts of symbols to quickly discover this symbol. The Pipe symbol may be found in the Basic Latin group in the Subset list.
However, typing the Unicode 007C in the Character code text field is the quickest method to retrieve this sign. The Pipe symbol will be filtered out and picked after you input the Unicode.
- Simply double-click it to put it into your document. Alternatively, you may use the Insert key.
- The Dialog is now closed.
If you carefully follow the procedures above, you may use Word to insert the Pipe sign or any other symbol or character that is not accessible on the keyboard.
Pipe Symbol (Copy and Paste)
This is by far the most straightforward method of obtaining any symbol, including the Pipe symbol.
Simply copy the symbol someplace, such as a web page, and then move to the document where you need it and hit Ctrl + V.
You may copy the symbol by clicking on it below.
The instructions below will teach you how to copy this symbol from the Character Map if you have a Windows PC.
- Search for the Character Map app and open it.
- Select the Advance View checkbox beside the button to see additional Character map possibilities.
- A search box may be found in the Advanced view. Press Enter after typing Vertical Line.
- In the search results, the symbol will display.
- Simply pick it in the Characters to copy text box with a double click and then press the Copy button.
It may be tough to get symbols like the Pipe that don’t have keys on the keyboard.
It should no longer be a challenging job with the help of the techniques and directions given here.
Thank you for taking the time to read through our information.
The “how to type a vertical line in word” is a question that has been asked many times. This article will teach you how to type the pipe symbol on your keyboard.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I type a pipe symbol in Windows?
A: To type a pipe symbol in Windows, you need to press Alt+P followed by Enter.
How do I get the pipe symbol on my keyboard?
A: To get the pipe symbol on your keyboard, you need to go into Settings > General > Keyboard Input and change it from a normal letter to |.
- how to type pipe symbol in keyboard
- how to type vertical line on uk keyboard
- pipe symbol keyboard mac
- how to type pipe symbol in linux
- pipe symbol not working on keyboard